NEW YORK (Reuters) - Journal Register Co sought Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection on Saturday, making it the latest U.S. newspaper company to buckle under deteriorating advertising revenue and debt that it cannot easily repay.
The company publishes 20 daily newspapers, including The New Haven Register and The Trentonian. It joins the ranks of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, as well as Tribune Co, publisher of the Chicago Tribune and Los Angeles Times, and highlights the challenges U.S. newspapers face as advertisers flee their print editions and more people get their news for free online.
For years, Journal Register has been among the smallest of publicly traded U.S. newspaper publishers. Nevertheless, its filing will increase scrutiny on other U.S. newspaper publishers, including McClatchy Co and Lee Enterprises, which are trying to survive a severe ad downturn without running afoul of their creditors.
Journal Register has already agreed with key creditors on a pre-negotiated reorganization plan, and said it was planning to restructure its operations.
The case is In re: Journal Register Co., U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of New York, No. 09-10769.http://uk.reuters.com/article/burningIssues/idUKTRE51K20520090222
- Broadcast TV Faces Struggle to Stay Viable
- Ads Now in Soap Opera Scripts; Products Plugged on...
- Rocky Mountain News Shuts Down Amid Ad Slump
- Pressure to Re-evaluate Dow Index
- Bankruptcy Funding Solicited for Car Makers
- Murdoch Hasn't Given Up on Print or Newspapers
- What's in a Wall Street Bonus Figure? Not Accuracy...
- Economy Dreadful, But Worse Elsewhere
- After Losses, a Move to Reclaim Executives’ Pay
- When Consumers Cut Back: A Lesson From Japan
- Journal Register seeks bankruptcy protection
- Banks May Need to Be Nationalized
- Dow's Lineup of Companies Changing
- Nationwide's CEO dumped - Columbus Dispatch Aslee...
- New York TImes Stock Drops Below $4 Per Share
- A Swiss Bank Is Set to Open Its Secret Files
- Business Writing 492 - Agenda
- I Dream of Denver - South, West Gain, Midwest Lose...
- Starbucks Coffee, Now in Instant
- SEC Accuses Texas Financier of 'Massive' $8 Billio...
- Local Web-Ad Market Cools Down
- Automakers Seek $14 Billion More in Aid
- Bailout Likely to Focus on Most Afflicted Homeowne...
- Business Stories Featured in George Polk Awards
- Stocks Slide in Asia, Europe on concerns about U.S...
- Nearly broke California faces fiscal crisis - $41 ...
- Brokerages Tighten Hedge Fund Financing
- Will Stimulus Bill Be A Waste of Money?
- Auto Maker Bankruptcy Looms
- Economists' U.S. Outlook Dims
- Got A Journalism Degree and No Job? The Strip Club...
- Chicken Price Slump , Leaves Farmers Wanting to Fl...
- Icing the Culprit in Continental Flight 3407 Crash...
- GM Offers U.S. Two Choices: More Aid or Bankruptcy...
- Bailout Needs Some Strings Attached to Limit Pay
- Will the Stimulus Package Work?
- The Real Stimulus Burden - We Will Be Paying For ...
- Sirius Seeks To Fend Off Takeover, Bankruptcy
- Bank Chieftains Appear Before Congress
- Congress Strikes $789 Billion Stimulus Deal
- Big Grocer Pulls Unilever Items Over Pricing
- Market Pans Economic Stimulus
- Geithner Swings and Misses
- Why Analysts Keep Telling Investors to Buy
- The Death of Local TV Stations
- Retailers Stop Making Sales Forecasts
- Scrambling to Clear Debt, Sirius Talks to EchoStar...
- Lewis Puts Money Where Mouth Is
- Recession Job Losses Surpass Three Million
- Obama Lays Out Limits on Executive Pay
- Wall St. Pay Is Cyclical. Guess Where We Are Now.
- Senate Adds Homebuyer Tax Credit to Stimulus Bill
- EchoStar Amasses Sirius XM Debt
- Madoff Client List Is Disclosed in Filing
- Costco Leads Expected String of Retail Warnings
- Consumers Keep Recovery at Bay
- CEOs Sent Packing in Record Numbers
- China's Migrants See Jobless Ranks Soar
- Macy's to Shed 7,000 Jobs, Cut Payout by 62%
- Sirius Faces Debt Payment in Test of Its Viability...
- The Chill of Protectionism
- Things So Bad at Magazines - Even Conde Nast in Re...
- Gloom For Glossies - Suffering Magazines
- ▼ February (63)
- ► 2008 (45)