Privately held Quad/Graphics Inc. of the U.S. is expected to acquire Canadian rival World Color Press Inc. for roughly $1.3 billion to $1.4 billion, said people familiar with the matter, in a deal that would create North America's second-largest commercial printer by sales, behind industry giant R.R. Donnelley & Sons Co.
Under the plan, these people said, shareholders of Toronto-listed World Color, which prints such magazines as Sports Illustrated and Rolling Stone, as well as the Crate & Barrel catalog and Yellow Book directory, would get a 40% stake in the newly combined company. The new company would then list on a U.S. stock exchange, they said, in effect bringing Quad/Graphics, whose clients include Newsweek, GQ and the L.L. Bean catalog, to the public market for the first time since its founding in 1971.
Quad/Graphics, based in Sussex, Wis., has 11,500 employees and 11 plants, most of them in the U.S. Its annual sales are around $2 billion. Montreal-based World Color, with a market capitalization of around $730 million, has about 18,000 employees and annual sales of around $3 billion, with about 30% of that coming from Canada and Latin America.
- Existing-Home Sales Plunge
- Two Big Printers Expected to Merge
- Demand for Macs, iPhones Fuels Apple
- One Third U.S. is Now Below the Poverty Line
- WSJ Top News Friday-Sat, Jan. 22-23, 2010
- Time to Sell Health-Care Stocks?
- Falling Beer Sales Have Brewery Mergers Over a Bar...
- Starbucks Growth Revives, Perked by Via
- New York Times to Charge for Web
- Apple Sees New Money in Old Media
- WSJ Top News Tuesday, Jan 19
- JPMorgan Chase Earns $11.7 Billion
- Taxing the Banks For the Bailout
- WSJ News Jan. 16-17
- A Window Opens on Pay for Bosses
- Shares Edge Higher as Investors Await Earnings
- Wall Street, the Depression and the Lords of Finan...
- The Fox News Architect
- A Fox Chief at the Pinnacle of Media and Politics
- WSJ Top News - Monday, Jan 11, 2010
- WSJ Top News - Fri-Saturday Jan 8-9 2010
- If Fed Missed This Bubble, Will It See a New One?
- WSJ Top News - Wednesday 1-6-10
- Could Apple's Tablet be a Savior for Print Publica...
- Cinema Surpassed DVD Sales in 2009
- ▼ January (25)
- ► 2009 (257)
- ► 2008 (45)