U.S. to Sell More Inflation Protected Bonds
The government on Monday is set to ramp up the sale of bonds that provide protection against inflation, known as TIPS, with its biggest offering in five years.TIPS, which account for less than 10% of the $7 trillion Treasury market, offer investors a way to hedge against inflation as their value rises along with the increase in consumer prices. The fixed returns on nominal Treasurys, in contrast, can be eroded over time by inflation, which especially affects long-term bonds.
Banks Brace For Bonus Fury
Critics of Wall Street firms are grumbling that this year's bonuses are far too generous. But some recipients are none too happy, either: They're complaining too much of the payout is coming in stock instead of cash.
Banks and securities firms have told workers their bonuses will contain a bigger percentage of stock to demonstrate that Wall Street is sensitive to public anger over the big paychecks. The idea is that stock reduces employees' temptation to take too many financial risks, since they have an ownership stake.
Crude Oil Surges to 15 Month High
LONDON -- Crude-oil futures extended their surge to 15-month highs Monday amid strong Chinese import data and a weaker dollar.In late morning trading, the front-month February Brent contract on London's ICE futures exchange was up $0.94 at $82.31 a barrel after earlier hitting a 15-month high at $82.45 a barrel.
- Existing-Home Sales Plunge
- Two Big Printers Expected to Merge
- Demand for Macs, iPhones Fuels Apple
- One Third U.S. is Now Below the Poverty Line
- WSJ Top News Friday-Sat, Jan. 22-23, 2010
- Time to Sell Health-Care Stocks?
- Falling Beer Sales Have Brewery Mergers Over a Bar...
- Starbucks Growth Revives, Perked by Via
- New York Times to Charge for Web
- Apple Sees New Money in Old Media
- WSJ Top News Tuesday, Jan 19
- JPMorgan Chase Earns $11.7 Billion
- Taxing the Banks For the Bailout
- WSJ News Jan. 16-17
- A Window Opens on Pay for Bosses
- Shares Edge Higher as Investors Await Earnings
- Wall Street, the Depression and the Lords of Finan...
- The Fox News Architect
- A Fox Chief at the Pinnacle of Media and Politics
- WSJ Top News - Monday, Jan 11, 2010
- WSJ Top News - Fri-Saturday Jan 8-9 2010
- If Fed Missed This Bubble, Will It See a New One?
- WSJ Top News - Wednesday 1-6-10
- Could Apple's Tablet be a Savior for Print Publica...
- Cinema Surpassed DVD Sales in 2009
- ▼ January (25)
- ► 2009 (257)
- ► 2008 (45)