A day after a worker was trampled to death, shoppers lined up outside a Wal-Mart on Saturday and police cars patrolled the area.
The New York Times - The throng of Wal-Mart shoppers had been building all night, filling sidewalks and stretching across a vast parking lot at the Green Acres Mall in Valley Stream, N.Y. At 3:30 a.m., the Nassau County police had to be called in for crowd control, and an officer with a bullhorn pleaded for order.
Tension grew as the 5 a.m. opening neared. Someone taped up a crude poster: “Blitz Line Starts Here.”
By 4:55, with no police officers in sight, the crowd of more than 2,000 had become a rabble, and could be held back no longer. Fists banged and shoulders pressed on the sliding-glass double doors, which bowed in with the weight of the assault. Six to 10 workers inside tried to push back, but it was hopeless.
Suddenly, witnesses and the police said, the doors shattered, and the shrieking mob surged through in a blind rush for holiday bargains. One worker, Jdimytai Damour, 34, was thrown back onto the black linoleum tiles and trampled in the stampede that streamed over and around him. Others who had stood alongside Mr. Damour trying to hold the doors were also hurled back and run over, witnesses said. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/29/business/29walmart.html?partner=permalink&exprod=permalink
- ► 2009 (257)
- A Shopping Guernica Captures the Moment
- What Would Keynes Have Done?
- Crowd Tramples Wal-Mart Employee to Death
- Reading Recession Signs
- Stocks Hit New Low on Collapse of Automaker Deal
- Echoes of the Past
- Near Fears Arise in Michigan Over Economy
- What A GM Bankruptcy Would Mean
- GM, Teetering on Bankruptcy, Pleads for Federal Ba...
- The Seeds of Credit Crisis Started at J.P. Morgan
- Chinese Dairymen Spiked Milk, Eggs With Toxic Prot...
- Call it the economy - French flock to Big Macs
- Hollywood casts business titans as villians
- ▼ November (13)