Wednesday, November 12, 2008
GM, Teetering on Bankruptcy, Pleads for Federal Bailout
Rick Wagoner, G.M.’s chief, said his company needed help immediately.
Editor's Note: Hard to believe that things are this bad. But if GM does file for bankruptcy, this will send a shock wave through the economy nationally.
The New York Times - DETROIT — Just two months after celebrating its 100th birthday, General Motors is facing the grim prognosis that it may not survive to see another year unless it is rescued by a bailout from the federal government.
Shares in G.M. sank to their lowest point in 65 years, to $2.92, on Tuesday, the day after the company revealed in a federal filing that its “ability to continue as a going concern” is in substantial doubt because it may run out of money by the end of the year.
Its cash cushion has been shrinking by more than $2 billion a month this fall. If that continues, G.M.’s reserves will fall below the minimum of $10 billion in cash it needs to run its global operations by January, the company said in its third-quarter S.E.C. filing.
In that event, G.M. said it might be unable to pay its suppliers, meet its loan covenants or cover health care obligations in its labor contracts. The extent of G.M.’s financial crisis, revealed in greater detail in its filing than it acknowledged before, is proving to be far worse than investors and analysts expected just last week.http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/12/business/12auto.html?partner=permalink&exprod=permalink
- ► 2009 (257)
- A Shopping Guernica Captures the Moment
- What Would Keynes Have Done?
- Crowd Tramples Wal-Mart Employee to Death
- Reading Recession Signs
- Stocks Hit New Low on Collapse of Automaker Deal
- Echoes of the Past
- Near Fears Arise in Michigan Over Economy
- What A GM Bankruptcy Would Mean
- GM, Teetering on Bankruptcy, Pleads for Federal Ba...
- The Seeds of Credit Crisis Started at J.P. Morgan
- Chinese Dairymen Spiked Milk, Eggs With Toxic Prot...
- Call it the economy - French flock to Big Macs
- Hollywood casts business titans as villians
- ▼ November (13)